Saturday, December 1, 2012

Bug-out bag for expat workers

A bug-out bag is a portable kit that contains the items one would require to survive for seventy-two hours when evacuating from a disaster. The focus is on evacuation, rather than long-term survival, distinguishing the bug-out bag from a survival kit, a boating or aviation emergency kit, or a fixed-site disaster supplies kit. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Getting into my third year of living abroad in countries not usually considered as tourist destinations but rather places you see frequently on TV getting bombed or having some sort of civil unrest, I followed the recommendation of having a small go bag to be able to move quickly in case something goes wrong and we need to evacuate the country.

In volatile places like Aghanistan or Syria, where security problems can occur at any time without warning, I would carry this bag (maybe a reduced version of its contents) with me all the time.
A few times I was unable to leave the office for a few hours due to shootings outside and it was nice to have some stuff to eat in case I needed to spend the night.

I am lucky the organisation I work for has already solid guidelines for this kind of situation, usually having food and water stored in safe places, organized contingency plans and alternative communication means. That combined with a few additional items makes me feel comfortable and better prepared.

These are some of the items keep in my bug out bag. The main scenario I imagine is having to leave our  residence and being stuck at the airport or at the office for a while. Most of these things I also use for camping or field trips, so I make sure everything is operational and ready to use. This also assures that items with expiration date are consumed and replaced.

I organize items by kits, to make it easy to repack them in a bigger backpack when I travel around the country and don't want to carry several bags.

Feel free to send your comments and suggestions! I will update this post with more ideas.

My bug-out bag contents

  1. Maxpedition Falcon backpack - it's a bit heavy, but extremely rugged and reliable. Some possibilities of expanding its capacity with molle packs. Any durable backpack would serve the purpose.
  2. Pouch with personal documents, travelling papers and cash
  3. Nalgene 1 liter bottle - the bare minimum, if needed I take another plastic bottle
  4. Some food - cereal bars, dried fruits, beef jerky, candy, cookies, whatever is available
  5. Small medical kit, includes water purification tablets, insect repellent spray, and others I will describe in a new post
  6. Toilet pouch - the same I use for travelling
  7. Tissues
  8. Hand disinfectant
  9. Hat and head scarf - for waiting at sunny landing strips
  10. Jacket - it gets cold inside non pressurised aircrafts
  11. Pair of socks, eventually an extra shirt and underwear
  12. Petzl Tikka headlamp 
  13. Surefire flashlight - lithium batteries have 10 year shelf live 
  14. Pouch with extra flashlight batteries, 2 glowsticks, swiss army knife, paracord, lighter, pen, notebook, compass, spork, ziplock bags, zip ties,
  15. Poncho - a poncho will also cover the backpack and serve as a tarp to sit on
  16. Inflatable pillow - I can't sleep without a pillow
  17. USB cable with mains and car lighter adapter - to charge my phone




1 comment:

  1. I first thought that a bug-out bag was indeed a small bag. But is almost a "rucksack"! I like to travel lighter than that, but on the other hand I do not work on those environments.
    What I would change would be the flashlight - I have now several rechargeable wind-up flashlights. No batteries needed. The one in my car even has an output to charge Nokia phones in an emergency.

    ReplyDelete