Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Spirit alcohol stoves



Travelling with gas canisters (or any type of fuel) is not possible, so before moving to Sudan I got this alcohol stove for my camping adventures:
This mini Trangia stove came with a complete cooking set. You can see more detail on Trangia's website
The whole set is quite small and fits in any backpack. If you don't use all the fuel after cooking, you can simply close the lid and the remaining alcohol won't evaporate. (I didn't try it in a 45ยบ C environment though)

I was thinking it would be easy to get ethanol in a pharmacy or supermarket like in Europe... I couldn't be more wrong, no one even knows  what that is around here..
So my idea for a globally available fuel stove went down the drain. I should have suspected that in countries where alcohol is banned, it wouldn't be available in pharmacies either.

Hand disinfectant is 85% ethanol, but didn't try that yet in my stove...

Anyway I still find the idea of a spirit alcohol stove quite good, assuming that the fuel is easier to find than Coleman compatible gas canisters.

If you can buy ethanol in your country, you might want to try to build you own a spirit alcohol stove! Read this Wikipedia article or watch this video

You can also find tons of information and comparisons about alcohol camping stoves in Art Simon's webpage

No comments:

Post a Comment